Home of internationally recognised events such as the Great Barrier Reef Masters Games, Cairns Airport IRONMAN Asia-Pacific Championships, the 2014 and 2016 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup and 2017 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships and the Cairns Indigenous Art Fair, Tropical North Queensland presents event organisers with a vibrant, natural and unique destination for cultural, lifestyle or sporting events of any size.
For a full calendar of events, click here.
TTNQ can assist event organisers with the following:
- Bid assistance – developing bid packages
- Hotel and venue selection – site visits and requests for proposal (RFP)
- Event marketing assistance
- Publicity Assistance
- Event planning templates
- Grant writing assistance
- Access to TTNQ promotional materials
- Connections to local sport organisations
- Contact details of local experts in sport-related fields, including medicine and strength and conditioning
- Opportunity to coordinate meetings and facilitate relationships with international teams, national and state sporting organisations, facility managers, private providers, the education sector and Queensland Government agencies
Key Event Partners
As the regional tourism organisation, TTNQ is responsible for the attraction and acquisition of events and for providing support with marketing activities that increase attendance and length of stay. TTNQ works with several stakeholders to achieve visitation targets and ensure the successful delivery of events in Tropical North Queensland.
Roles and responsibilities for each stakeholder are defined as below.
Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ)
- Provide funding for business, hallmark, major and regional events on an application basis that achieves state outcomes.
- Offer marketing opportunities under the “It’s Live” brand and event optimisation activities for certain events.
Other Government Agencies
- Events may be supported through other government programs such as Arts Queensland, National Parks, Sport & Recreation or Gambling Community Benefit Funds.
- Provide funding (both cash and in-kind support) on an application basis, often through competitive funding rounds.
- One-off applications are accepted for hallmark and major events.
- Offer an extensive range of venues and infrastructure and have a lead role in the facilitation of license and permit requirements
- Can assist with community engagement activities.
- Responsible for event delivery, including operations and marketing, as well as associated financial risks